Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Summer leaning Journey week 1 day 1

3 Intresting facts about Maui
Fact 1. Māui took a jawbone which his ancestor Murirangawhenua had given him.
Fact 2. I have come to fish because Murirangawhenua said I would be a great fisherman
Last fact Over many hundreds and thousands of years, these gullies and mountains became part of the landscape of Aotearoa

What other stories have you heard abotu Maui?

The other stories are Maui and Moana.

Activity 2: Setting Sail
The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…

Letter to a Friend
Dear Friend I will be moving to a new country on a boat called a waka I feel sad because I get to leave you on the island your on. I feel nervous when I move to another country, I'm nervous because the boat might sink or we might head to a a island were we will get lost. I hope to see you again if I die.

Bonus Activity: Waka Ama
To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.
Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?


I wouldn't be in a waka ama because I might fall to the bottom of the sea and I will get eatan by a shark.

8 comments:

  1. Hey there Solomone my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey blogging team. It is great to see you have completed three activities already this summer! Keep up the great work.

    I enjoyed reading your three facts that you have included for the first activity, especially the third activity about the gullies being formed as the brothers gutted the fish. I find this interesting because New Zealand has a very bumpy landscape. Have you ever been fishing?

    Thanks for writing a letter to a friend imagining that you were one of the first travellers to New Zealand. You have done a great job allowing the reader to pick up on the different emotions you might have been feeling at the time - sadness and nervousness. Was there any bad weather or big waves on the journey?

    Thanks for sharing your opinion on whether or not you would be interested in participating in the Waka Ama race. I like your reasons for not wanting to join and I think they are valid. What other reasons would you not want to join? Is there anything you might like about it?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Solomone,
    I liked the way you described what could of happened if you fell out of the boat. Have you thought about wearing a life jacket so you can stay up instead of falling all the way to the bottom of the sea. I have not been in a Waka Ama race but I hope that I can be in one. How would you feel if you were in a Waka Ama race.
    From Laki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Solomone,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    You have done a great job putting yourself into the shoes of someone travelling to New Zealand on a waka. I would be sad, scared and nervous too! A whole range of emotions! I bet the voyage would have taken a really long time. Probably months to travel across the ocean! What do you think the people on the waka did to pass time during their voyage? Would they have slept all day or would they be rowing all day? Or a mix of things? Let me know what you think.

    It is great to see you have made a start to the Summer Learning Journey! I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Solomone,
    My name Christopher
    I really like the way how you said you were nervous because the boat was about to sink and you were going to die that is great. But who's the friend you were talking to ?
    Besides that your work was great keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete